William Callow, RWS (British, 1812–1908)
The Palazzo di Ezzolino, Padua
Signed and dated l.l.: Wm Callow/1885., watercolour over pencil with scratching out and touches of white
37.4 x 26.7 cm; 14¾ x 10½ inches
Exhibited: Probably the Society of Painters in Water-colours, 1885, entitled A Relic of Venetian Architecture in Padua.
This colourful drawing shows the triple-arched Venetian Gothic window of the Palazzo di Ezzolino in the centre of Padua, above an archway over a busy thoroughfare bustling with locals shopping. The palace was built in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries by Ezzelino da Romano. A further view of Padua by Callow showing the Market Place and Palazzo Ragione is in the collection of the Provost and Fellows of Eton College.