English School late 18th century
Portrait of Mary Anne St Quintin (1782-1874)
Oil on canvas
60 x 50 cm; 23 1/2 x 19 1/2 inches
Mary Anne Fisher, the daughter of Colonel Fisher of Cambridge married Thomas Quintin (1780- 1852) in June 1801, at St. Mary-The-Great, Cambridge.
Thomas’s grandfather was Thomas Quintin (d. 1806) a wealthy London glass manufacturer who bought the Hatley St George estate in Cambridgeshire in 1785. His eldest son John Whitby Quintin (d. 1833) inherited the estate.
Mary Anne’s husband Thomas was the eldest son of John Whitby Quintin. The couple had at least ten children. From the late 1830s Thomas appears to have adopted the surname St Quintin although he still appears to have been referred to as Thomas Quintin (as on a monument to the family in Hatley St George church) but his son and grandson were St Quintin. Two of their sons followed their father to Cambridge University, William (II) St. Quintin to Peterhouse in 1824 and John Whitby II to Emmanuel in 1834. William II joined the Bengal Civil Service.
Thomas and Mary Ann took over managing the family estate in Little Gransden, adjoining Hatley St. George. By 1816 the estate consisted of 1,400 acres. In 1841 the parish, excluding the 50 acres of the park, was largely divided between four farms, of which three were held by Thomas St. Quintin's tenants. In 1868 the estate was sold to John Carberry Evans.
Mary Ann Fisher St Quintin died on 4 July 1874 at Lathbury, Buckinghamshire and is buried with her husband at St Peter and All Saints Churchyard, Harrold, Bedfordshire.